Thursday, May 3, 2012

Taco Salad

I have to say, the grassfed part of Paleo has been a challenge. Not because it's not plentiful here in the Bay Area, but because it's expensive and we don't have money to spare (who does?). Needless to say, we've been having a LOT of meals made up of grassfed ground beef--which I can score for about 5/pound at Farmer Joe's. But after a multitude of dinners of burgers and sliders (not that I'm complaining), I've started trying to get creative. Cue dinner the other night: Taco Salad! (Triumphant music plays)


1 head butter/gem lettuce
@ 1 pound ground beef
Beef seasonings: chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, minced garlic
1 can green peppers
1 avocado
1 small cucumber
1 cup organic salsa (I like Costco's -- no additives, just tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.)
A couple ounces shredded cheddar for the hubby's salad -- no cheese for me this time

I sauteed the beef for a few minutes with the seasonings above and let cool to just above room temperature. After that, it's just chopping and assembling the other ingredients. 

I tossed this with my default homemade dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar. It was a huge hit and very filling. I think you could also add corn, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, and a lime dressing if you were so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment