Friday, February 5, 2010

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup (in the slow cooker)

This was originally going to start as a Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili, but as I started throwing ingredients in there, I knew it was going to become the best Black Bean-ish soup I've ever had.

The ingredients were close to this:

1 can black beans
1 can refried black beans
1 can kidney beans
6 small to medium sweet potatoes
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 medium white onion
1 head garlic
Chicken broth

I threw all of the above in my large crock pot, added salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and let it sit for 8 and a half hours on low. When it was done, I mashed it with my hand held blender and topped with a little mozarella cheese and 1/4 avocado. Between me and the boyfriend, we have a LOT of leftovers, so this recipe is definitely fit to feed an army. I will continue to try to learn to cook for just 2 instead of 20.

Here's the finished product:


We absolutely loved it, and most of the work was opening cans and chopping onions. In the future, I  might want to add a scoop of sour cream or tomato salsa too.

No comments:

Post a Comment