Monday, January 16, 2012

A new year, etc. etc. etc.

One of my new year's resolutions (I know, yawn) is to keep up my blog, including actually writing down recipes and including other topics like workouts, nutrition, diets and gratuitous pictures of my dog, Jackson.

On the workout and diet front, I'm down to only 8 pounds over the weight I was when I got pregnant. That's pretty good news, but when I got pregnant I was already 20 pounds over my ideal weight, so.... It's time to get to business. I'm following a low (white) carb diet for the most part and trying to get a handle on portion control--my weakness.

I've also registered for my first ever 5K on Feb 26th, so I  have no excuse but to run a few miles a few times a week. I've been doing pretty well so far this year, and am hitting the gym today after work for 3 miles. Woo.

On the baby front, I'm so happy that the little man has a couple teeth now and is eating real food:


We've got us some laughing cow cheese, white beans, turkey, tangerines, and blackberries...oh my!! He eats everything I offer him so far (fingers crossed).

On the adult food front, like I said, I've been trying to minimize the white carbs and stick with proteins and veg for dinner. I've been doing a lot of cool stuff with broths/soups, hot sauces, etc etc.  Here's one I've been making for dinner at least one night a week recently:

Yes, those are breadcrumbs on the pork chop. I know, I know. But I use my own bread dried out and chopped, and I use so little. Sigh. I use a couple slices of leftover sourdough or rye, toast them, and crumble them up. I should stop.  Then I dredge the pork chops in an egg, a little bit of those bread crumbs, and sautee them in oil. I should probably watch the oil too.

For the cabbage, which was DELICIOUS, I took:

1 medium head of red cabbage
2 small granny smith apples
1 small yellow onion
A few cloves of garlic, depending on your love for garlic!
2/3 cup white vinegar (but if I had apple cider vinegar I would have used that)
3/4 cup water
A few black peppercorns
A few dashes of salt
2 tablespoons sugar

I basically chopped up the veggies and apples and threw them in the slow cooker along with those ingredients for about 8 hours on low. So easy, healthy, and delicious. I could (I didn't) literally sit there and eat out of that slowcooker vat until it was all gone. I swear I didn't do that.

Finally, the apple of my eye, for no reason at all except that he's awesome:


No comments:

Post a Comment